(604) 597 2284
10am - 5pm

Students Compliance

International Students

Need a help

Contact us by phone or submit your inquire online. We will response as soon as possible.

Use Our Tools

Request Callback

Would you like to speak to one of our consultant over phone? Just submit your details and we’ll be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.


    Subscribe our newsletter to get our latest update on Canadian immigration

    Students Compliance

    Student Compliance

    In Canada, study permit holders are required to actively pursue their studies.

    This means, among other things, remaining enrolled at a designated learning institution, making timely and reasonable progress towards completing your study program and maintaining your immigration status.

    Actively Pursuing Your Studies

    Study permit holders are required to actively pursue their studies. You should be enrolled in a full-time or occasionally part-time credit load to be considered actively pursuing your studies. However, in order to work in Canada on a study permit, you will need to maintain full-time status.

    Each institution determines its own definition of full-time studies. However, full-time studies usually mean a minimum of 9 credits (3 courses) per semester.


    As required by law, Canadian Designated Learning Institutions periodically report on each international student’s enrollment status to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).


    Canadian immigration officers impose conditions on your study permit. These may include one or more of the following:

    • the type of studies or course you may take;
    • the educational institution you may attend;
    • the location of your studies;
    • the time and period of your studies;
    • the times and places at which you shall report for medical examination or observation;
    • the times and places at which you shall report for the presentation of evidence of compliance with applicable conditions;
    • the prohibition of engaging in employment; or
    • the duration of your stay in Canada

    Failure to comply with these conditions can have serious consequences.

    Study Permit Renewal

    You must apply before the expiration of your study permit if you would like to continue studying in Canada. Schools recommend you apply at least three months before the expiry of your status, to allow for processing time. If you apply for an extension, you must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original study permit (i.e.: you cannot quit school and begin working).

    Expired Study Permits

    If your study permit expires and you have not applied for an extension, you must stop studying and/or working immediately, as you will be considered out-of-status.

    If you fall out of status, you must apply for a restoration of status. You will have 90 days from the day your study permit expires to apply for this restoration. This application can only be done inside Canada and you will need to remain in the country until a decision is made on your application for restoration of status. The restoration process can take several months and there are no guarantees that your application for a new study permit will be successful.

    Lost Study Permits

    You will need to ask for a replacement by launching an application called a “verification of status or replacement of an immigration document.” In these cases, you may continue studying in Canada but you should not leave until you obtain a copy of your study permit.

    Taking a Semester Break

    If you would like to take a semester off, it could affect your study permit and ability to work. Check with your international student advisor if you would like to take time away from your studies.

    Regular and Scheduled Breaks

    A regular or scheduled break is defined as a summer holiday, reading week, winter holiday, or transition period between graduation and receiving a post-graduation work permit. According to IRCC, a consecutive four-month break can only be taken:

    • once in a calendar year; and
    • Students must have had full-time enrollment before and after the term that is considered a scheduled break.

    Let's take first step. By Free evaluation

    Let Neera evaluate your options

    1 +
    Active clients
    We love what we do and we do it with passion.
    1 +
    Best customer services and with quality design like this?
    We have four branches in Canada main cities.
    Get in touce

    We are Connected all time to help in your immigration need

    We understand the importance of approaching us. We believe in the power of simple and easy communication.

    0 +

    Request an appointment/send message

      Surrey BC(Head Office)
      204 – 12788 76A Ave Surrey, BC V3W 1S9
      +1 604 597 2284
      Burnaby BC
      By Appointment only
      210-7270 Burnaby
      +1 604 597 2284
      Unit 2- 32056 South Fraser Way Abbotsford, BC V2T 1V7
      +1 604 597 2284
      unit 102, 347 Leon Ave. Kelowna,BC V1Y 8C7
      +1 604 597 2284
      Client’s testimonials

      We are Very Happy to Get Our Client’s Reviews.

      Clients Reviews: