Family Class Sponsorship

As a country that values family reunification and keeping loved ones together, Canada provides multiple immigration options for Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their family members to come to Canada. Reuniting families is one of the core principles of the Canadian immigration system.

The Canadian government offers various sponsorship programs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor their dependent family members. Once the dependents become Canadian PR holders, they can live, study, or work in Canada.

These are the main type of family sponsorship applications to come to Canada in 2023:

01. Spouse, Common-law, or Conjugal Partner Sponsorship

As a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you have the opportunity to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner for Canadian permanent residency. This applies whether they are currently living in Canada with a valid temporary visa or residing abroad. If your partner is living in Canada, they may also be eligible for an open work permit. This could help ease some of the financial burdens that come with immigrating.

It’s important to note that Canada recognizes common-law partnerships, which means that you may be eligible for spousal sponsorship if you and your partner have been living together for at least one year, even if you are not married.

02. Parent or Grandparent Sponsorship (PGP)

Canada’s Family Class sponsorship program includes a stream dedicated to parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Parents and grandparents approved under this program receive Canadian permanent residence and may eventually be able to apply for Canadian citizenship.

Applicants to the PGP will have to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their application.

03. Dependent Children Sponsorship

If you are planning to immigrate to Canada, you have the option to include your children as accompanying dependents in your application for permanent residence. However, in case you choose not to include them, or are unable to do so, there is still a chance for them to join you later.

Canada has a child sponsorship program that enables Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their biological or adopted children under the age of 22 for permanent residence, provided they are unmarried and have no children of their own. If a child is over 22 years of age, they may be considered a dependent if they suffer from a physical or mental condition that prevents them from being able to support themselves.

04. Other Close Relative Sponsorship

Under certain circumstances, Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents may have the opportunity to sponsor their orphaned siblings, nieces, nephews, grandchildren or other relatives to immigrate to Canada. To be eligible for sponsorship, your orphaned relative must be unmarried, under the age of 18 and related to you by either blood or adoption.