What is Family Sponsorship

This program aims to assist families of Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and Registered Indians in reuniting with their loved ones. In simpler terms, if you fall under any of the above categories (citizen, permanent resident, or Registered Indian), you can bring your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent children with you to Canada.

Who can you sponsor?

The Family Class broadly consists of the following three categories of sponsorships:

  • Spousal, Common-Law or Conjugal Partner Sponsorship
  • Parents, Grandparents and Relative Sponsorship
  • Children and other dependents

An applicant must not be “inadmissible: under the Immigration and Refugees Protection Act (IRPA) and must go through:

  • Medical exams; and
  • Criminal checks

Spousal, Common-Law or Conjugal Partner Sponsorship

A spousal sponsorship allows a Canadian national to sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner to live in Canada.

The sponsor and the sponsored person must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • They both must be at least 18 years old.
  • They must demonstrate their relationship as genuine and is not entered just to become permanent residents in Canada.
  • They must prove their intention to live together in Canada.
    Common law partners, including both opposite-and same-sex, who have been living together with another person in a marriage-like setting for more than 12 consecutive months or a period of one year, can sponsor if they meet the eligibility requirements.
  • Conjugal partner, including both opposite-and same-sex relationships, who is living outside Canada and has had a binding relationship with the sponsor for at least one year but could not live with their partner.

Parents, Grandparents & Relative Sponsorship

Canada offers a parent and grandparent sponsorship program as part of its commitment to family reunification. This program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parents and grandparents. In order to sponsor a parent or grandparent, the sponsor must show that they can financially support their family by meeting the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) for their family’s size. Additionally, sponsors must agree to provide financial support for their sponsored family members if they need it. If a sponsor is unable to provide permanent assistance, they may be eligible for a Super Visa, a long-term, multiple-entry visa for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

Child or Other Dependent Sponsorship

If you’re planning to immigrate to Canada, you can include your children as accompanying dependents on your application for permanent residence. However, if you choose not to or cannot include them, they may still join you in Canada through the child sponsorship program. This program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their biological or adopted children under the age of 22 for permanent residence, provided that they are unmarried and have no children of their own. If your child is over the age of 22 but has a physical or mental condition that prevents them from supporting themselves, they may still be considered a dependent.

From individuals to corporations, we provide simple and tailored Canadian Immigration Solutions to meet your unique needs.