What is Outland (Abroad) Sponsorship?

The Family Sponsorship Program has an Outland Spousal Sponsorship Stream that enables Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for Canadian permanent residence, regardless of their current location. The program’s primary objective is to reunite families as quickly as possible, and as a result, most applications are processed within a 12-month period. Although the program was designed for sponsored individuals living abroad, applicants living in Canada may also apply for Outland Spousal Sponsorship. This option may allow them to travel in and out of Canada while their application is being processed.

Requirements for the Canadian Sponsor and Their Spouse

  • Both the sponsor and their spouse must be at least 18 years old.
  • The couple must be married. Alternatively, they can be in a common-law partnership where they have lived together consecutively for a minimum of 12 months.
  • Neither the sponsor nor their spouse should have received permanent residence through Spousal Sponsorship in the five years preceding the application.
  • Neither the sponsor nor their spouse should be in prison, bankrupt, or charged with a criminal offense.
  • The Outland Spousal sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident.
  • The sponsor must be willing and able to financially support their spouse in Canada.
  • The spouse must not be inadmissible to Canada.

From individuals to corporations, we provide simple and tailored Canadian Immigration Solutions to meet your unique needs.