International Mobility Program
Hiring a foreign worker through the IMP typically involves paying a $230 employer compliance fee. Where an employer is hiring an open work permit holder, the fee is not required. Other fee-exempt positions include those covered by a non-trade agreement, certain research positions, and charitable or religious work.
Job offers via the IMP must be made through the IRCC’s Employer Portal. Employers must register a profile to use the Employer Portal.
Extensive details of the job being offered must be entered into the portal, including a list of duties, the minimum education requirement, experience required, plus wages and benefits.
Requirements for the International Mobility Program
For the Foreign Worker:
- Foreign worker must apply online.
- Foreign worker must have all the required documents for their visa application.
- Foreign worker must apply for a work permit (requirements and conditions apply).
- Foreign worker may be eligible for an open work permit, which allows them to work for any employer and is not job-specific (requirements and conditions apply).
For the Employer:
- An employer, in most cases (but not all), must submit an offer of employment through the Employer Portal. The temporary foreign worker must then apply for a work permit.
- Hiring a temporary foreign worker who has an open work permit, the employer does not need to submit an offer of employment or pay the employer compliance fee. This applies to LMIA-exempt employers.
Benefits of the International Mobility Program
- The foreign worker may qualify for a fast 2-week processing of their application. Conditions apply.
- The foreign worker may be eligible for an open work permit.